Sunday, August 25, 2013

Solo trip along the Northern Oregon Coast!

Before I moved to Seattle, the two trips I was looking forward to the most was Vancouver, BC and Oregon.  This past weekend I took a few days off and headed on down. I started in Astoria, Oregon and headed down to Seaside and Cannon Beach. I stayed at the Sandy Cove Inn in Seaside but ended up spending my time that night in Cannon Beach. The next morning I drove further south stopping in Oswald State Park, the Tillamook Cheese Factory, and Cape Mears along the Scenic Loop highway, before passing through Depoe Bay and my motel which was in Moolack Shores, just north of Newport. My original plan was to head south to Florence before cutting over to Eugene and back up I-5, but the weather was so yucky that I decided to head East through Corvallis (where Oregon State University is) and start the 5 hour drive home a little early.

My trip started in Astoria, Oregon, which is a place I have wanted to visit for about 15 years, ever since I found out that is where they filmed the Goonies. Thanks to one of my favorite childhood movies, I fell in love with the city before I had even been there. Astoria is the first settlement to the west of the Rockies, and is filled with beautiful, old Victorian homes. I'm actually making a separate post for Astoria itself! :) Here it is: http://iamdrunkinmydesire.blogspot.com/2013/08/goonies-never-say-die-in-astoria-oregon.html

Astoria, OR

Here are some highlights:
 
 Walking up to the house on 38th st, which was the Walsh's house in the Goonies!

There she is!!
 
The Jail from the movie is now the Oregon Film Museum.
 
And across the street is the Flavel house, which was where Mikey's dad worked in the movie (the Museum.)

 
 
 The Astoria Column
 
Seaside, OR



 


 

 
There were tons of super cute beach houses along the Promenade, but this house had the best flower bed ever! What a great idea!
 
Each lamppost along the Promenade had a dedication...

 
This one in particular really struck me.

 

 
Cannon Beach, OR
 
 
My first glimpse of Haystack!
 
 
The fog and mist added to my first visit...it was so beautiful!





 
 

 
 



This is a variation of one of my favorite flower bushes in Washington,
but I had never seen this color before!!


 
I loved the old house that had been redone into an Art Gallery.

 
 


 
Oswald State Park, OR

 
I had way too much fun walking over this bridge, that bounced up and down! :)
 

 
I loved how it looked like these roots were alive and climbing out...
 

When I came out of the forest, this was my first view. The fog was amazing!





I loved the divets in the sand, formed by the water. And there is nothing better than
standing still and letting your feet sink in the sand. :)


 
The drive along 101 was so great. Though the Ocean was on the right most of the time,
 on the left was beautiful rivers and mountains.


 
The only thing in Tillamook that I stopped for was the free tour of the Tillamook cheese factory. You can also get some free cheese samples, and can buy some ice cream! I tried white chocolate raspberry, strawberry cheesecake, and chocolate peanut butter. I loved the first two! :)

 
After leaving Tillamook, you can stay on 101 or take a detour through the Three Capes Scenic Loop.
I took the loop and stopped at Cape Mears. 
 
Cape Mears, OR
                                                                                                                                                                                             
    
 






 
Only got to see this one lighthouse, however my next trip will include a lot more!



Depoe Bay, OR
 
I stopped in Depoe Bay which is about 10 minutes North of Newport.
My first stop was at Boiler Bay State Park, which is said to be the best place along the coast
 to spot Grey Whales, and THEY WERE RIGHT!!!



 
The motel I was staying in provided binoculars, and they helped me to see this guy up close.
 It was so amazing!!
 
 
Depoe Bay Bridge off of Otter Creek Loop
 



 
This house was for sale.. I'll keep it in mind! :)
 
Off of the Otter Creek Loop is the Devil's punchbowl.
 
 
 
 Apparently when the tide is high, the water swirls around, like a punch bowl. :)





I loved this spot where the water had washed all the stones up..

 
Last spot on the road trip.....
 
Newport, OR
 
 
I wasn't a fan of the Historic Bayfront area of Newport,
but they did have these amazing murals that I absolutely Loved!!

 
In Nye Beach, I came across my new favorite bookstore ever!!! It drew me in with the Friends trivia game in the window.. and wowed me with their collection of books.

They had labels on these sections of books to help you know where to start, like "coming of age", "futuristic", etc, Also, they had a whole section of books from my childhood! Judy Bloom, Babysitters club, The All American Girls, etc. It was amazing. Oh and I bought two books for my little sister who is starting 2nd grade. I cannot wait to share these gems with her!
If you are ever in Newport, stop by Books on Beach.
 
 
and of course, my motel in Moolack Shores, the Moolack shore Motel...
 
 
The beach behind the motel...

 
 The motel has themed rooms, and mine was the Nostalgia room.
 It was freaking adorable and I loved it!!
 
 
It had a microwave, refrigerator, fireplace, and a claw foot bathtub!!
 
It also had a balcony with a (side) view of the water.
 
When traveling solo, one cannot always afford actual ocean front ;)

 
One of my favorite parts was this composition book they had in the room, where they invited guests to write about their stay. This entry from Rod made me cry. It was so beautiful I wanted to share.
 
We forget the joy that these rooms we stay in hold, all the memories of the people who have come before us, and it was kind of magical reading about it.

 
And then it was over! I was so sad to leave...
 
My last shot of the trip, my first and only glimpse of Portland. But that is for another trip! :)


 

No comments: